Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Do i need to use primer before painting an outdoor deck?

i am going to re-paint my deck. Beforehand I am going to strip the existing paint as best as possible and powerwash it. I want to apply some type of outdoor paint but do i have to primer it first?Do i need to use primer before painting an outdoor deck?
Power wash the deck and remove old paint. If you use a paint specifically for decking then you do not have to prime it. The paint for decking is supposed to penetrate the decking wood. If you prime it then it will not penetrate it. Now if you are talking about a porch floor which has a roof over it, then prime it first then paint. But use a paint specifically for porch flooring. Good luck.Do i need to use primer before painting an outdoor deck?
I guess I would like to see what happened to the existing paint. Did it peel off? Did you use a primer last time? I would tend to using an oil base primer maybe. It depends on what condition the deck boards are in. Are they treated lumber? Another thing to do would be to paint a small area and see how its going to work. You can paint it and overnight see how its going to do in the long haul.
If you are spraying it primer it,if you are brushing it paint it.Spray guns are for people who are to lazy to do it wright.Point in fact there is a house I painted with a brush next to a house paint with a spray gun that has been re=painted 3 times sense I paint my house and my house still looks better.
Growing up with my Dad, he used primer before, due the less amount of paint or stain that will soak/sink into the wood. After you get the desire effect you want, be sure to add ';Thompsons Water Protection Sealer';. This will save heartaches later from splitting wood from everyday weather. Not advertising for them but after trying different brands this was the best. Good Luck and God Bless
Yes absolutely! A good primer too! Primer is what helps the paint stick to whatever your painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment