Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How do I refinish a painted outdoor bench made from yellow cedar and pine?

The bench was painted with dark brown paint. The paint flaked off from the yellow cedar, but stuck to the pine. Now I removed the paint from the visible parts as good as I could.On the the underside and the back I will leave the old paint. Which product will adhere well to the yellow cedar and the pine? I would prefer a darker color because for the legs and support- 2x4s scrap wood has been used which is of different shades.I want to be sure that no cloths will be stained when sitting on the bench.How do I refinish a painted outdoor bench made from yellow cedar and pine?
You have two options 1st you can prime it all then apply any paint or 2nd if you use a high quality paint (top shelf) it will be self priming and also coverage will be much better along with increased durability. I would recommend Duration exterior coatings available at Sherwin Williams for about $40 a gallon. I know this is a little pricey but remember paint is cheaper than labor.Since you have different woods I don't think staining would turn out to good because of the different colors of your base woods (ceder %26amp; pine) It would be hard to obtain an even color without the repairs being obvious.How do I refinish a painted outdoor bench made from yellow cedar and pine?
Use a primer before painting.
i would certainly stain the bench, not paint it and I would remove all the old paint, regardless if you can see it or not. paint does not allow wood to breathe. i would find a color you would like (you can purchase samples at lowes for about 39 cents a peice.)





You will start with a wood conditioner after you have sanded the surface. If it is rough wood, you may have to get a paint stripper.





After the conditioner has soaked in long enough, then you will stain the wood and follow with a clear sealant.





It sounds beautiful already!





Good luck!
i dont know

No comments:

Post a Comment