Sunday, February 21, 2010

What kind of paint should be used on tile for an outdoor table?

I am having second graders each paint a tile, which will then be put onto an iron table with a wood top. I do not have a kiln. I would like to use a paint that will withstand weather.


What paint would be best?


What type of sealer should I use?


Can I tile directly onto the wood top?


Someone told me I should bake the painted tiles in my oven, should I?


Please help, this project is for a school auction. Thanks.


- craft impairedWhat kind of paint should be used on tile for an outdoor table?
use Vitrail tile paint, apply light colours first: white, then yellow, then others in order. do not bake, clean up carefully with adult supervision, glue on to wood with exterior grade tile adhesive; when dry grout tiles with exterior grade grout or sand'cment mix. make sure edges of wood are sealed also.What kind of paint should be used on tile for an outdoor table?
You can use acrylic paint if you spray or paint the table afterwards with a sealant. You can buy clearcoat sealants at any craft store and the store employees should be able to tell you what they carry that would work best for that project.


Your other option is to have the children paint with glaze that can be baked in the oven. Liquidex Glossies is one type of paint that can be baked in the oven (there are other brands as well). Check with Michael's or your local art store to find out what they carry. I would still seal the tabletop regardless of what media you use.
I would just like to add that Home Depot carries a spray varnish from the Bull Dog brand that will seal glass or tile so it will take acrylic paint for out door use.. Then when the paint is dry you can respray it.


Acrylic paints clean up with soap and water. Also if you to to the www.liquitex.com they have a special school program and may give you the paint for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment