Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Paint For Outdoor Water Fountain?

We have an outdoor water fountain that runs from spring to late fall. I need to repaint it, including the basin, but want to go with a paint that is as waterproof as possible. In the past, I have just used cheap grey spray paint.





Is there something else that would work better. Also, would coating it with clear polyurathane add more protection to the part that is constantly underwater. Keeping in mind that birds do drink from it.





Thanks,


Steve in OHIOPaint For Outdoor Water Fountain?
if it is cement , you need to wet the whole thing down with vinegar to prepare it to accept the paint first.Iet it dry, then go with rustoleum spray paint.... not a cheap spray paint. That is where you are going wrong. I have a cement birdbath that i painted about 14 years ago with the vinegar and then rustoleum treatment and I think I may need to re-touch it this coming spring.Paint For Outdoor Water Fountain?
use an oil based paint cause that is what i use on my bird bath . as a matter of fact I just got through painting it last month and it matches a wood bench that i repainted . the bird bath holds water I just did not paint it where the water goes cause that will poison the birds . but in a water fountain I guess it would not matter . but my suggestion is to use an oil based paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment